Call me crazy, but I have a salad every day for lunch during the week. Salads are just so easy and so versatile! I make all my salads on Sunday for the week and then just grab and go in the morning. Meal prepping on Sundays just makes eating healthy so much easier. Currently I have been loving this delicious salad featuring a combo of chicken, white beans, and beets. Not to mention, check out those colors! Almost too pretty to eat, but not quite. 😉
If there’s one thing to know about me, it’s that I LOVE Trader Joe’s! It is the only grocery store I go to every week (sometimes multiple times a week, eek guilty -_-). They have such great prices, unique items, and products that just make your life a whole heck of a lot easier in general, like their baby beets. I love beets, but what I don’t love — cooking beets. All that peeling, all those purple hands, all that mess. No thank you. Trader Joe’s makes my life easy by selling already peeled, already cooked, au naturale baby beets, no sugar and no preservatives. I’m not going to lie… I drink the beet juice straight from the package. I rationalize it by telling myself I do it because the beet juice is good for me (which it is!), but really I just want an excuse so that I don’t feel so cavewoman. They’re that good! Thank you Trader Joe’s gods. Speaking of gods, their godDESS dressing is one of my faves and pairs perfectly with this salad.
Chicken, White Bean, and Beet Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded or chopped
- 1 package arugula
- 1 purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced (I use Persian cucumbers)
- 8-10 pearl, cherry or mini plum tomatoes (I use mini Villagio San Marzano plum tomatoes), quartered
- 1 package Trader Joe’s baby beets, sliced
- 1 can white beans, draind and rinsed (I use Great Northern White Beans)
- 1 bottle Trader Joe’s Goddess dressing
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders
Seasoning for Chicken
- 1 lemon
- Ground black pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay out the chicken tenders on a large plate and squeeze half the lemon all over one side. Season to taste with pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Flip the tenders over and repeat on the other side.
- Place the chicken tenders in a 9×13 glass baking dish and cover with parchment paper. Bake the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes. (Pro tip: the parchment paper helps to lock in the moisture meaning your chicken will come out moist and delicious and stay this way all week!)
- While the chicken is cooking, prep the rest of the salad. Place all ingredients in a large bowl (or your 5 separate tupperware containers if you’re meal prepping).
- When the chicken is done baking, take it out of the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes or until it is cool enough to cut up. Cut it into pieces and add on top of the salad.
- Add dressing right before eating. (Pro tip: I always add half dressing and half apple cider vinegar to my salads. This way you cut down on the amount of dressing you use while still having a little flavor AND you get the amazing health benefits of apple cider vinegar.)
Voilá! Easy enough right? And now you can eat healthy all week long!
Do any of you meal prep? What are your favorite meals to prep ahead of time? Comment below and let me know!